08 February 2013

Exploring the Wonderful World of Metaphysics

Ever since I can remember, I was curios about the world and all that is contained within it.  This curiosity led me very quickly into the realms of metaphysics, a term that was first coined by Greek philosopher Aristotle (384 to 322 BCE).  The result of combining two words: Meta (“over and beyond”) and physics (a science dealing with the natural laws and process, and states and properties of matter and energy), metaphysics is generally considered to mean “over and beyond physics”.

In many dictionaries, Metaphysics is described as “ … a branch of philosophy that deals with First Cause and the Nature of Being”. Today it is associated with areas such as philosophy, parapsychology, mysticism, yoga, ESP, dream analysis, astrology, meditation, positive thinking, life after death, reincarnation, and so on.

Metaphysics can be regarded as a “Spiritual Philosophy of Life” as it explores and attempts to provide insight into the relationship of man, the mind and the Universe by attempting to answer, or at least provide insight, into the age-old questions: “Who am I? What am I? Where have I been? Where am I going?”

Metaphysics also attempts to provide insight into the fundamental streams of inquiry:

• What is the truth behind the "First Principle of Life"**?

• Where do we all come from?

• What is the meaning or purpose of life?

• Did some “God” create us or did we evolve?

• What does it mean to be in a state of “being”?

Through my own personal exploration of metaphysics, I began to come familiar with the concept of the 'world within' along with the 'world without'.  As my journey progressed, what seemed to be a natural process (at least for me), I entered the realms of the occult sciences where a familiar concept was found - that being the 'microcosm' and the 'macrocosm'. 
 
Many of the concepts I had studied and was familiar within from my metaphysical studies could be found within the occult, and in particular my own spiritual path.  It is for this reason that this year I have decided to offer a six part course on metaphysics with the aim of providing a deeper level of understanding behind some of the questions mentioned above.  Naturally, my slant will be occultic, however such questions do form the basis of various spiritual paths and through the discussion of their philosophy, the over-reaching similarity of the "inner worlds" will evolve.
 
More information about this course, which commences on Monday 29 April 2013, can be found here.  There are limited positions available.
 
Later in the year, the course will also be made available for on-line study.
 
 
 
 
** Thomas Aquinas stated in his Summa Theologiae that the soul is not corporeal, or a body; it is the act of a body. Because the intellect is incorporeal, it does not use the bodily organs, as “the operation of anything follows the mode of its being.”  He also stated that the human soul is perfected in the body, but does not depend on the body, because part of its nature is spiritual. In this way, the soul differs from other forms, which are only found in matter, and thus depend on matter. The soul, as form of the body, does not depend on matter in this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment