19 September 2012

Macha and the magic of Ireland

Naven Fort, County Armagh

For the last couple of months I have largely been focusing on my upcoming book, as well as finalising the notes for my upcoming workshop on Celtic Goddesses and Warrior Queens.  One of the Goddesses that I will be discussing during this workshop is Macha, a rather mysterious figure as there appears to be a number of figures named "Macha" within Irish myth and legend, and much debate as to whether these are in fact the same or different characters. 

With that point aside, in the Northern Ireland county of Armagh (originally referred to as "Ulster" in the ancient texts), there are two sites named after Macha.  The first is the city of Armagh itself (from the words Ard meaning "height" and Macha - meaning the "height (or high place) of Macha"), and the second is the hillfort known as "Navan Fort" (Emhain Macha) that was once the capital of Ulster.

Newgrange, County Meath

When I looked at my calendar this morning, I realised that this time next year I will actually be in Armagh as part of the 10 day Irish tour organised by Dragons Eye Tours that will also take in the 5,200 years old passage tomb of Newgrange in County Meath, as well as a number of other sacred sites.

More information about this wonderful Irish tour, not to mention the 10 tour of England's famous West Country (taking in sites such as Glastonbury, Avebury, Stonehenge and much more), can be found on Dragons Eye Tours web site.

With the tours leaving from London and Dublin, anyone who has an interest in these wonderful ancient sites, or is interested in a tour with a spiritual connection, is welcome to join.

I hope to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment