09 August 2012

When Mercury is in retrograde ...


Mercury is the planet that governs communication, intellect and awareness.  It deals with logic and reasoning, our manner of thinking, and how we create and express our thought processes verbally and written, with the latter including online communication (such as emails, Twitter, and Facebook).  With this in mind, if you have experienced "communication breakdowns" over the last month, then there could very well be a good reason to this.  Mercury has been in retrograde. 


Basically since the 14th of July until yesterday (8th August) it has been in retrograde (where it appears to be travelling backwards).  What this means is that during this period ( which occurs three times per year), time tends to come to a stand still.  During this time astrologers recommend that our attention should turn inward, where we undertake some much needed re-evaluation or revamping of what has been done earlier.  It is not a time to undertake risks, and especially not a time for making important changes, as these may not actually materialise.  Details should be double checked, allowance should be made for "unexpected delays" and we should also be prepared for misunderstandings.

During this recent period of Mercury being in retrograde, it was also within the astrological sign of Leo.  This fiery energy of the lion is said to activate the winds of change and create situations that branch out into many new directions.

For the last three weeks, I have been waiting patiently (well, as patiently as I can) to hear back from the proofreader of my upcoming first book, Dancing the Sacred Wheel: A Journey through the Southern Sabbats, with respect to the latest set of chapters I have returned for her expert advice.  Yesterday I had to send her an email to find out what was happening ... and this morning I received a response that she was in fact waiting on me to send to her the remaining couple of chapters so that she could finalise it all at once.

Yes, definitely an exercise in miscommunication ... thank you very much Mercury for being in retrograde.  I am now working feverously to complete these outstanding chapters, check the bibliography and pull together a suitable index before returning this last bundle to her. But how exciting ... the proofreader still believes are on track for my manuscript to be heading off to the publishers around mid September (touch wood).  For those who have been patiently waiting, what this also means that near the end of this month I could very well be in a position to announce when pre-orders can start to be taken. 

Naturally, as I am self-publishing, the more pre-orders I get, the more copies I can initially get printed.  There are still a number of important things I need to do at my end (like obtain an ISBN number and arrange to have Anthea finish off the back cover and spine).  More details about Dancing the Sacred Wheel: A Journey through the Southern Sabbats can be found here.

Interestingly though, the presentation I gave on Tuesday evening (while Mercury was still in retrograde) on the subject of "ritual drama" appeared to have been received very well and this morning, I received a request to write for another magazine ... something that I am considering as this magazine will reach a different audience to that of my regular column in Insight (in the August edition, you will read about The Earth Bride as we enter into Spring).

Mercury will be retrograde once again from 6th to 26th November, where it will be giving our goals as aspirations a deeper perspective through the astrological sign of Scorpio being activated during this process.

No comments:

Post a Comment