31 January 2012

Lughnasadh in the South

Each experience opens a window into ourselves,
into who we were, who we are,
and whom we are choosing to become.


 
This evening marks to commencement of Lughnasadh (at least by the Gregorian calendar), the first harvest, that being of the grain and corn.  And even though the actually harvesting of the grain crops here in South Australia occurred a month or so ago here in South Australia, Lughnasadh still marks a time to reflect on our own personal harvest - that which we have reaped and that which has not yet come to fruitation.
 

Lughnasadh is also a time of reflection on our deeds and actions, our experiences (the negative as well as the positive), on those people who have touched our lives for various reasons.  It is only through reflection that a lot of these things truly come to light, and we realise that even from the "negative" experiences, something positive has been gained.  This is because we cannot know what we have not experienced.

It was around this time last year that I received an email that took me quite by surprise, and which I felt extremely humbled by.  It was from a friend who I had been sharing my Craft knowledge with over the years and whilst they were not ready to commit themselves to my own coven, their email thanked me not only for my friendship, but also for my teachings, even if the end realisation was that they needed to walk their own direction.

At this time of the year, the time of reflection, I also extend my thanks and acknowledgment to those whose paths have crossed with mine.  It is through such crossing, regardless whether our opinions have been likeminded or opposing, that in some way, my own commitment and dedication to what I believe in and how I share this knowledge, has been strengthened.

Blessed Lughnasadh

No comments:

Post a Comment